Penalty problems doomed the Marquette Royales, as they fell to the Wooster Oilers 6-3 at Lakeview Arena on Saturday, November 22.

“Abysmal,” said Royales head coach Kevin Shupenia. “The first two periods were abysmal hockey.”

Wooster got on the board first with an unassisted goal from Remington Reynolds halfway through the opening frame, but it was the second period that gave the win to the Oilers.

Marquette’s Bryan Larson was ejected for a hit on a Wooster player, who stayed down on the ice, but remained in the game. The penalty included contact to the head and a five-minute major.

On the ensuing faceoff, goalie Bryce Leaf’s stick was knocked out of his hand. A quick shot by from glove side bounced in just 17 seconds into the penalty kill for 2-0 lead. Wooster scored a second time with just over a minute left on the power play, as Rubin Chavarria shot from the near edge of the circle.

A penalty on Andrew Dominick led to another Wooster goal, this time from Casey Carpenter. The goal increased Wooster’s lead to four.

Marquette’s JB Bedbury tried to the rally the team after the goal by skating by the bench and demanding a response. Before the goal announcement was finished, his teammates answered with a backdoor rip from Cameron Wirick. It was the Royales first goal of the game.

However, Marquette wasn’t able to keep the momentum going though, as the Royales allowed two more goals before the end of the period. After two it was 6-1 Oilers.

In the third, Jayson Dahlquist skated around three Oilers to get the shot off top shelf to try to get the home team back in it with 15 minutes to go and then they got some help.

A late five-minute major to Wooster’s Brad Sneed gave the Royales the same chance the Oilers did in the first period. Sneed was given the same penalty as Larson, but not the ejection. The crowd responded negatively to the discrepancy, but ejections are up to the discretion of the officials.

“If they throw Larson out, they got to throw out both of them,” said Royales assistant coach Jim Stanaway. “It was inconsistent.”

Casey La Bonte scored through the five hole, but couldn’t score again on the man advantage. It was the last goal of the game, ending it 6-3 in favor of the Oilers.


Oilers’ goalie Steven Schmitt stopped 17 of 20 shots while Bryce Leaf stopped 26 of 31 shots, as Luke Thurston was in net for the fifth goal.

Wooster remains at the top of the Central Division with the Wisconsin Rapids River Kings with 30 points each. The Royales move to 9-10-1 for 19 points and fifth in the division. Tri City is in fourth with 21 points.

Steven Frankel for Wooster will sit out tomorrow’s contest after receiving a game misconduct in a last-minute brawl, but Marquette’s Sam Weidenbaum will return after a four-game suspension.

Marquette will have their last home game before the Holiday break tomorrow against the Oilers. Shupenia said this was an important win and the team would need effort to win it.

“Effort. Desire. Heart. That’s all you need,” he said.

Puck drops at 1 p.m. at Lakeview Arena.

Leave a Reply